Status of Residence

In principle, you must apply in person for status of residence in Japan at your regional immigration office. For people under 20 years of age, however, a representative such as an adult family member, an attorney or a certified legal specialist may apply on their behalf.

💻Search by Status of Residence

See the Immigration Services Agency website below to confirm how to acquire status of residence and what documents you need. You can also download application forms, etc. in both Japanese and English from this site.

When you enter the Japanese page from the button below, you will see a panel of languages at the bottom of the screen. Please choose the language you want to translate into.

Japanese, English, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Korean, Indonesian, Thai, Mongolian, Tagalog, Portuguese, Spanish, Vietnamese, Burmese, Nepalese, Khmer.

Search by status of residence

Applying for Status of Residence for a Child

When a child of foreign nationality is born in Japan and will remain in the country for more than 60 days, the parents should apply to their regional immigration office for a status of residence within 30 days of the birth. (Fee: No charge)

Extending Your Period of Stay

If you will be staying in Japan longer than the expiry date of your period of stay, you must apply to your regional immigration office for an extension of the period of stay. If your period of stay is 6 months, you can apply for an extension from up to 3 months before that period ends. (Fee: ¥4,000)

Changing Your Status of Residence

If you wish to continue residing in Japan but with a different status of residence, you must apply to your regional immigration office to change the status of residence before your current period of stay expires. (Fee: ¥4,000)

Permission to Engage in an Activity Other than that Permitted under your Status of Residence

If your status of residence does not permit you to work but you wish to engage in an income-earning activity, you must apply to the regional immigration office for permission to engage in that activity. If, for example, your status is Student or Dependent and you receive permission, you can work up to 28 hours per week at a part-time job. If, however, you engage in activities that are not permitted under your status of residence without applying for and receiving permission, you will be considered to be engaged in illegal work.

Special Re-entry Permit System

Foreigners who wish to leave Japan temporarily and re-enter during their period of stay need to obtain a re-entry permit. Under the special re-entry permit system, however, you do not need a re-entry permit if you have a valid passport and residence card and you intend to return to Japan within one year. Please note, however, that the period of the special re-entry permit cannot be extended while you are outside Japan. If you are planning to stay outside Japan for more than one year, you should apply for a re-entry permit at your regional immigration office before you leave. The maximum period for a re-entry permit is 5 years. You can apply for a single permit, which allows you to leave and re-enter Japan only once, or a multiple permit, which allows you to leave and re-enter multiple times within the specified period. (Fee: single ¥3,000; multiple ¥6,000)

Permanent Residency

The status of permanent resident allows foreigners to remain in Japan indefinitely. With this status, there is no need to apply for extensions of period of stay or change of status. Certain conditions are required to receive this status. Please refer to the Application for Permanent Residence Permit page on the Immigration Services Agency website for details. (Application Fee: ¥8,000)

Notifications Relating to Activities, Work, and Partners

Those with a status of residence that gives them permission to work, as well as students and trainees must notify their immigration office of any change in their work place or school or any other organization to which they belong or with which they are under contract within 14 days of the change. Those who are spouses of Japanese nationals or of foreign nationals with permanent residence status and whose status of residence is dependent must notify the immigration office within 14 days if their spouse passes away or if they are divorced. Notification can be done in person or online.

Applications and Inquiries

💻Online procedure for residence application

You can apply for the issuance of a Certificate of Eligibility, permission to acquire or change status of residence, extension of period of stay, etc. online. The online system for residence application is available in Japanese and English. Please refer to the website for details.

Japanese, English, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Tagalog.

Online procedure for residence application


Naturalization means giving up citizenship in your country of origin and obtaining Japanese citizenship. When you become a Japanese citizen, you no longer need a status of residence. Instead, you can make a family register in Japan. Various conditions need to be met in order to acquire Japanese citizenship. Please contact the Legal Affairs Bureau to set up a consultation for details.

Consultations on application for naturalization, etc.