KJ200701: Renewing your visa

Visas to Japan have a limit of 1 or 3 years. For those wishing to stay on in Japan after their visa expires, renewal of your visa’s period of residence is required. If you stay longer than the permitted period, please be warned that you face deportation.

Applications for visa renewal are accepted from up to 2 months before the expiry date of that visa, but it can take time, so it is recommended that you start as early as possible. Along with the application form, your passport and your Alien Registration Card, other documentation will be necessary depending on the type of visa you have.
Foreign students must present their student ID card and transcript of results. Working people must show their certificate of employment and tax credentials. Finally, those with a marriage visa must present documents certifying their social status and residence address, along with documentation showing their income and occupation.
Visas are awarded according to the activities you are undertaking in Japan so if there are any changes to your social status or activities(such as getting married or divorced, or graduating from university and getting a job), application for a change of status of residence is required.
The application form for change of status of residence includes a section for applying for permanent residence.
Examination of applications for change of status of residence can take some time.

For application forms or more information, please contact :
Takamatsu Immigration Bureau
Takamatsu Houmu Goudou Chousha
Marunouchi 1-1, Takamatsu City 760-0033
Open from 9:00-16:00,
Closed Saturday, Sunday, and holidays.


i-palog index

i-pal website

about this entry

This page was written by i-pal for 2, 2007 3:04 .

The Previous content is "KJ200701: What to do if you're in a traffic accident"

Tne next content is "KJ200701: Winter Sports"

You can see recent contents on the index page